Thursday, December 31, 2020

Volume 30 - Fall 2020

Welcome once again to music for the dark days, the dark age, the manifested and symbolic reality trip that is our demise---otherwise known as 2020. This month may be joyous for some and sad for others, but we can all agree it's some degree of terrible for all of us!

One thing I'm happy with is to reach my 30th volume! I'm pleased to commemorate this set's cover image from my now-growing matchbook collection. This was recently passed down from my parents. Out of the dozens upon dozens of books shipped from the remains of my South Jersey family home this had just the right look and, even better, was from a local joint. I don't think I was ever there once I turned drinking age. Nonetheless, the early '60s era look is as good as the name of the bar is lame. If anyone knows what the 1 and a half circle is about I'll light one of the matches for you in your honor.

This set came really quickly thanks to a slew of tunes pilfered from a site with a ton of posts of Ivan Ward sides. However, I was kinda, you know, distracted with 2020. Nonetheless, to get right to it, I'm handing out the sidemen-band-name-of-the-month contest winners tout suite to The Swingsters! Some of you may know their song Congo Glide on the Frolic Diner comp. That song was second to last on the CD and I always felt it would've been a great closer. The Swingsters have two sides here with Ivan Ward. Baby Sitter and The Clique. I like the latter particularly, as it evokes the same chug chug, melancholic feeling of Congo Glide. But, how about Cal & Ivan's Lazy Pt. 2? That song, despite being a clear Sleepwalk rip-off, is a great tune. Maybe they saved that blatant pilfer for the B-side, hoping no one would notice.

Betty Blue

Blue Star
by Betty Turner begins with a solar explosion that alters the DNA in my heart every time I play it. I may just have to seek out this stellar gem on 45. It's Phil Spector's wall of sound as if it were built to surround my kingdom and never let me out--to live the rest of my life in solitude. I'm okay with that as long as I have this song in my heart. This article states it was recorded in a garage studio, but it sounds like the cavernous locale of a aircraft hangar. Amazing.

I'll take the aisle seat.

Next up, Holiday by Del Kent has the great introduction that's the strange surf equivalent of Denny's Quiet Village. Take me on that vacay anytime! Say the word and I'll gas mask-up, take a flight and meet you there. 

I'm please to state both our vocals in this set are women, both are about stars, and both of them make me weep. Magic Star has Margie Singleton giving us the vocal version of Joe Meek's classic. Be sure and check out the Omnibus podcast's show on the tragic Mr. Meek. The podcast is a favorite of mine, so I want to give it a plug. And it's about the end of the world, so it has to be worth mentioning here, no?

That's all for now, folks! I'm cutting it short because it's already overdue and my right hand is fakakta due to a pinch nerve. See you in 2021!

 Take a sip here


 











1 comment: