Friday, August 9, 2019

Volume 27 - Spring/Summer 2019

Here we go again folks. Once more into the dark nights, the abyss. Yes, I know it is summertime and the days are long, but the darkness will come. It always does.

I'm proud to tell you my vinyl continues to grow once again, after long years in the desert. I have a few more personal rips I've added to this set. [No flatulence jokes here.] The Cosmos in particular, shines out of my behind. This tune, from The Caterpillars appears to be a Don Ralke composition. His tunes have appeared on my earlier volumes. I have found other vinyl of his in the wild but it was mediocre Exotica. The guy sure knows how to arrange for some far out tunes though. The Dead Sea, which is the flip, goes far beyond any kind of exotic land into a boat ride on bumpy waters headed to darkness. It's dreary doo wop instrumental madness when the carousel goes round and round and off the rails.  

The Deacon - Part One by the Hackney Brothers is the story that finds you at the end of a very long bar. Sitting next to you is the Deacon with whom you share all of your tribulations and vicissitudes. Part 2 it's where you blacked out, so I don't included here.

After you hit the barroom floor your stupor leads you get you a one way ticket on the Down Bound Train. I can't tell if this song is anti-alcohol, born-again Christian, or utterly hedonistic. I'll tell you this much, it's filled to the chorus with doom and groove.

Frank Gay and The Gayblades (bringing us this dreary ditty) lead us right to the always exciting sidemen band name of the month contest. We have two other contenders against the 'blades. We have The Sheiks (with Paul Hopkins Jr.) playing Hypnotized Lady, which, when I listen to that song over and over again I begin to become easily suggestible. Also in the running are the U-Neeks (with Johnny Ray Gomez) and their fast and short instro, Romp Out, which proudly came from my vinyl collection. However, I must pin a ribbon on The Gayblades to give them their proper place in the pantheon of 45s here at the end of the Earth.

Hey Bartender is one more song to return us back to the local watering hole. This is, of course, before we take a ride on the downbound train. This is when are we still having fun. It's only after the fourth beer where things take a turn for the worse. In the meantime we'll have 1,2, & 3 glasses of beer with Jimmy "Boo Boo" Blazer and Geechie Hicks. Geechie is always a great name for any troubadour. (To jump eras and genres, be sure and check out the masterful elegiac dirge Last Kind Word Blues by Geeshie Wiley. You won't regret it. That is, unless it plunges you into a deep depression.)

Lonely Before Dawn by the Night People can almost go without words. It's a song tailor made for Instos to End the World By. It's a cousin to Link Wray's Rumble. However, this is at the end of the night after half of the rumble participants are either dead or dying. The sun will rise in the East.

And speaking of songs perfectly suited for this blog, Lost Bandit by the Crume Brothers is a flawless fit. Wordless vocals which, as you know folks, is a surefire ingredient to ensnare my imagination. Not only that, it has LOST in the title, is slow, slightly melancholic, and could easily be playing in your earbuds as the sun finally sets on humankind.
Where am I, and where are those da da dahs coming from?

I have to mention Rattler by Santo and Johnny. This was a find I never knew existed by the sleepwalkers thanks in whole to Office Naps. Little Danny is the supreme master when it comes to finding priceless gems cast into wax. Be sure and check out his live-streamed radio show Cool Blue Flame on WFMU. My catastrophic collection would barely exist without him.

Don't like the taste of green onions? How about a streaming bowl of Rice Pudding? Willene Barton and her Trio serves up a sweet and not bitter dish that just as delectable as Booker T. I sure hope that's Ms. B wailing on the tenor. I'll make room for dessert every night if it is.

I'm gonna cut this post short and serve up this savory set before it's Autumn. You've all been waiting patiently and this set has been in the can since March.

Get hot here!

No comments:

Post a Comment