Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Volume 24 - Summer 2018

Welcome to another slew of instrumental and vocal slop poached from the depths of the interwebs, like shrimp sucked from the sea bottom. All the reefs, flounder, and Sponge-Bob and his poor friends are fatally trawled down.

No cream. Just liver damage.
Nice dark image to start us off, no?. And speaking of murkiness, to begin the set: I'll take my java black, just how I like my death. Won't you join me for a cup? We'll sit at the counter, drinking it black and full of blues. And beat, man, beat. Carolyn Carpenter serves us Black Coffee. Don't even add sugar. Drink it down sip by sip, my dear listeners.

There are multiple great instrumentals (and vocal tunes) here--almost too many to mention by name. The first three colorful ones are all fabulous and worthy of a toast to the Big Sleep, and I don't mean the Bogey flick or the Chandler rag. For instance, Blue Castaway by The Shelltones is truly sublime and perfectly matched to this volume's cover--no pun intended. The guitar glistens, the tide takes us out to the ends of the seas, the pure, un-ozoned sun burns our skin, eyes and hearts.
"My other friends are all extinct!"
While we're far out on the salty waters, keep your eye out for the Creature from Under the Sea. Milton DeLugg spins up a swinging '60s salt water confection with some kind of silly, yet ominous guitar sound. Who knows what the hell that is making that noise! I've heard of wet reverb before, but Milton knows how to make it really drenching. Maybe the creature is a friendly ghoul, like Casper...or Sigmund.


Rusty Draper’s Devil of a Woman must be from Don’s brother. Unlike Don, Rusty was able to get in touch with his mother complex and process it through song. Still, the description of his gal could lead anyone to excessive amounts of drink the way that Rusty puts it.

So, every time I feel like I come upon a singularly spectacular song it turns out that Lavender Jungle already had it in their comp. Halvah, the sesame "sweetness from a land afar," is one of them. I decided to keep that song in here for posterity simply because the Middle Eastern instrumentalist Ganim and his Asia Minors were the maniacs responsible for Come with Me to the Casbah. Nonetheless, Lavender Jungle is one of the best comps in existence, and you should buy it digitally, physically, spiritually. It also has the fantastic zinger, Algiers by The Bambinos, which I poached for Volume 15.

I almost forgot about the Sidemen Band Name of the Month contest! I sure as hell wish the Mad Men of Note had a bandleader because they would have won hands down, cuz we're all nuts, except they are NOTABLY so! Alas, only two contenders this time 'round. The first is the Three Blazers (with Johnny Moore) doing Dragnet Blues. You had better know the Blazers from their searing rendition of Bullfrog (heard on the other best comp of all time, Frolic Diner) or you are to stop following this blog immediately. So the head to head between The Three Blazers, and...this month's winner: The Mercyaires (with Mel Ball). Give me a wordless vocal as they do, on I Remember, and you have me at la la la. Oh, mercy!

Isle of Love is so damn good the singer can only have one word to her name. Carmen, I will wait for you until you return. I will wait for eternity but I doubt that's even possible, given the the theme of this here blog. Make it fast, come back to me post haste! This song, along with many other fabulous ones in this set, reminds me of how Volume 12 came together. Beautiful combinations of vocals and instrumentals worthy of Twin Peaks season 7. Tell your friends if they only choose one or two of my selections, make it one of these. Carmen's dreamy song is one example to take you far away from the dreariness here in this modern day world.

Okay, so in the last entry I was gushing about my hippie parents' love lovey dovey, hippy-dippy stuff because of Nature Boy. Well this time in honor of the new women's movement we have Clete Grayson giving us the female version. Put on our fluffy shirts and purple velvet blazers and cut a rug to this swinging ode to Mother Nature's daughter.
Happy birthday, Mr. Oak

Hug a tree here and get Lyme disease! Enjoy the coolness of summer, folks. It's only hotter seasons going forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment