Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Volume 17 - Summertime Giant Party! 2016

I'm jumping out of order here to post my latest volume, 17. It has some fantastic tracks that I had originally found when the world was ending in 2012. The Hell Raisers, Shubert's Rock, and Crawlin' came my way back then, or even earlier. I couldn't wait any longer to share them with King Bloodstone's beloved listeners.

Syd Dale's transcendent *&%#ing tune takes the swinging Brit mod scene of the early '60s and shoves it into the noir blender hole that was the '50s trying to forget about the horrors of WWII. First heard Hell Raisers, of course, as the score to our web slinging buddy's Saturday morning cartoon. The episodes were already in reruns by the early '70s, but the sounds and visions planted themselves firmly into Prince Bloodstone's nascent psyche.

 

If anyone can name the track of the opening number--not the theme song--of the above episode I'd love to know it. I've looked at the available KPM (The British music library used in most of the Spidey toons) tracks, but could never locate this brilliant gem. Getting back to The Hell Raisers, Something Weird used it for the Ed Wood outtake video that Frankie Fink and I drooled over back in our Vipers days. Later, I learned of its true origins.

Speaking of movies, we have Jack Nitzsche giving us a summertime soundtrack to a colossal teen party big enough to rock the wax off your Yater stick. The Last Race is well known--heard on QT's short four-wheeled romp and on Kogar's Lux & Ivy Vol. 6. This version, taken from it's original 1965 source, Village of the Giants. Never saw it and Beau Bridges probably hopes it stays that way.
The winning back-up band name this time around goes to the Irrationals. Tanganyika doesn't even make sense anyway! Check out the Noble "Thin" Watts tunes, along with Ghost Town and get yer fill of Stroganoff!

Happy summer! Here's volume 17, your soundtrack to the world-ending possibility at the stubby hands of our next elected official! I'll be back soon to return us to the past, with number 9.




4 comments:

  1. Crikey! I seem to have stumbled upon a gold mine (well, via the WFMU FB page). These are brilliant, and should keep my band in obscure covers for decades...) - great work, Ta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your band does covers like these you MUST tell me who you are and where you gig!

      Delete
  2. Try this: http://www.retroist.com/2016/06/24/listen-to-over-an-hour-of-background-music-from-the-1967-spider-man-animated-series/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. Did/does the Retroist have a podcast? I may've heard it years back.

      Delete